Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Still in the Garden...zzz..


oo..er. I seem to have done something wrong to this site.







My garden is looking pretty from certain angles.
1. General flower view.
2. The yellow flower. This is Corydalis Lutea. A more or less wild plant, widespread in some parts of Bristol. I don't think it has a common name. I call it 'Poshweed' as there's a lot of it growing round the posher areas of Bristol, like Clifton. I have got a lot in my garden, despite not living in a posh area, because a) I introduced it and b)I'm a vegetarian and used to read The Guardian.
3. Hairy creature. I don't know anything about it. It looks Scottish.
4. Forget-me nots

5&6. Don't know what these are called.
7 & 8. EEK! Baby Spiders. This lot just appeared overnight. Most of them haven't woken up yet, but the more energetic ones are scrambling up and down the rigging to the flowerpot. I haven't thought of names for them yet. Any ideas?

spider update 18/5/06. They seem to have made a communal web and are now huddled into a ball in the middle of it. Doesn't make a very good photo (I did try). This could be what they do anyway, or it could be because it is quite cold and rainy and the wind is building up - the forecast is for unseasonably strong size nine gales. I'll keep you informed of their progress.
update 19/5/06. The spiders have huddled into two balls, presumably because of the bad weather. One of them is missing. I am making posters to put on lamp posts
9. Another frog photo. The last one, I think. I like having frogs in the garden, but they're slightly lacking in Blog Entertainment Value. So Bye Bye, Froggy.
10. Another spider photo. Do they have BEV? I like them anyway. This was taken by Alex, but of the same bunch of spiders round my house. It was taken on Thursday morning. Just after a rain shower. You can see the spids clinging onto little drops of rain. It's spider-tastic, to say the least.
On a more serious note, the missing spider has not turned up yet. I have issued a description: between six to eight legs, yellow body, likes weaving webs; I can't think of a lot more to say.

Missing Spider Found! The baby spider who has been missing for the last two days has turned up safe and well. He was taken in by a neighbour who thought he was a stray. She was about to take him to the Bristol Home for Lost Arachnids when she saw my sign on the lamp-post. The spider is glad to be back and was unharmed by his ordeal, apart from having some of his legs pulled off.

3 comments:

alexhighrise said...

how about Ethel? that's a good name for a spider, well I think it suits the one on the left

alexhighrise said...

the bottom spider photo
do some of them wish to remain anonymous?
what is it with spiders?

alexhighrise said...

I saw a spider today could be the one missing from your garden but when I approached, it scuttled away...bit rude I thought so you're probably better off without a spider with that kind of attitude