Friday, June 30, 2006

Flags, flags, flags







Before you can start writing a blog, you have to attend a Blog Swearing-in Ceremony and solemnly promise to report everything that happens in your area.
In order to fulfil this requirement, I suppose I shall have to mention the millions of St George's flags that are covering the land while the World Cup rages in Germany.

I can't say I feel comfortable with so much flag waving. It reminds me of the Nuremberg rallies, and that's something I'd like to forget (especially the one where I had a stall selling beads and incense - what a waste of time that was).

Up till about, what, ten years or so ago, you'd only ever see the England flag (St George's Cross) in pictures of racist rallies. Then other nationalities started putting their flags on cars - Jamaican, Pakistani,Somali, Welsh, Scottish,etc. and I guess the English thought they wanted to get in on the act too.

Now, the (English)world and his dog all wear red and white crosses in every possible permutations. There are St George's hats, T-shirts, shoes, wedding dresses, coffins, incontinence pants and so on, ad infinitum.

Still, the flags may all disappear if England get knocked out this weekend, so I thought I'd take a few snaps while they're still here.

No comments: