Sunday, June 11, 2006

Football Rendezvous

I arrived at the house at the appointed time. It was in a quiet-ish suburban street, there was nothing to mark this house out as different from any other (except the door number, of course).
Rather than knock on the door, I used the push button electronic device that alerted them to my presence.
I was shown in through a corridor to a windowless inner room. In the corner was a large box displaying images. I immediately recognised it as a television set - a device capable of showing images of events happening far away or in the past.
On the screen a football match was taking place. After a while they changed ends.
When the match was over, I walked out into the afternoon sun. People were going about their business - washing windows, cleaning gardens, mending roofs. They hardly gave me a second glance. I smiled to myself; I wonder what they'd think if they knew I'd just seen a football match on a television set!

No comments: